Welcome to Rent On Long Island
Your source for Long Island rentals, & apartments for rent on Long Island,
Use the following links to search for rentals on Long Island.
We have a team of agents who specialize in helping people find the best rentals on Long Island,
without having to drive all over town.
Long Island , NewYork apartment rentals and homes for rent can be found on one great website and shown to you by the dedicated team of rental professional Realtors from Douglas Elliman Real Estate. Rentals types for rent include houses for rent, townhouses for rent, condos for rent, apartments for rent and more. Long Island Apartments and houses for rent can be furnished or unfurnished, some apartment rentals allow pets or smoking or can have handicapped access. Some Long Island landlords require credit checks to rent their apartments or houses, we can guide you through the entire process. Long Island apartment rentals and homes for rent can be short term or long term.
We can help you find a great Long Island rental apartment for you and your pet. We have a team of agents who can find you the perfect pet friendly rentals.
If you are and Landlord and you have a home or apartment to rent we can help. Our dedicated staff treats every rental with the same care as a million dollar listing. We take pictures and help market your rental in the best possible fashion. We help gather all of the important information for perspective tenants so you can make an informed decision on who to rent to.
Long Island Renters Guide - 2012
Due to supply and demand, tenants of Long Island are usually responsible for paying the real estate agent's fee. This is generally one month's rent, or 15% of one year's total lease.
It is common to leave a binder check of $100.00 to reserve an apartment until lease signing. This fee is then applied to the security. Landlords on Long Island generally require one, possibly two month's rent as a deposit, payable at the time of the signing of the lease, unless other provisions have been worked out by the lesser and the lessee. Long Island does not require that the landlord place your security in an interest bearing account.
Speak to your Douglas Elliman Real Estate rental agent. If you are relocating, call us at (866) 260-9822 (toll free) for counseling and to determine when to come to New York to begin your search. At that time, schedule your appointment. Your needs will be discussed, questions will be answered about the process, and you will be assigned to an agent best matched to your needs and budget.
- Organize and prepare the necessary information to bring with you, including:
- Letter of employment and salary verification (include start date if not yet employed)
- Bank account numbers (checking and savings), credit card numbers
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of previous landlords
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of accountant and attorney, if applicable
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of personal and business references
- Tax returns
- Pay stubs
- Expected bonus (verification from employer)
- Additional sources of income with verification
- Personal identification with photograph - driver's license or passport
- If relocating, prepare the necessary funds before coming to New York. Landlords will not accept personal or out-of-state checks. They require certified funds. Anyone renting or relocating must:
The day of your appointment you will meet with the agent who will be working with you. Then you will be taken to each apartment that the agent has scheduled for you to see.
When you have made your apartment selection, you will be asked to fill out a rental application and one or more miscellaneous documents. Your agent will negotiate price and lease terms for you. Upon acceptance, a credit report will be done, and your references will be checked.
Leases will be signed and checks presented.
- Try to establish a New York bank account before you begin your search. If this is not possible, bring the necessary funds with you.
- Bring enough traveler's checks to cover the cost of two (2) month's rent (which must be converted into CERTIFIED CHECKS). This comprises the first month's rent and one (1) month's security deposit.
- Bring funds to cover the broker's fees if your company is not paying that expense. You, the tenant, in Long Island, pay brokerage fees. These fees are due upon signing of the lease unless your employer is paying the real estate commission for which they will be billed directly.
Your Douglas Elliman Real Estate agent will assist you with settling in comfortably once the lease is signed and the move in date established.